I picked up our wine club shipment Wednesday & they included sangria recipes. Our shipment from Kalyra includes a bottle of red, a bottle of white, and a bottle of dessert wine. Neither of us typically drinks red wine unless it’s turned into sangria (or we’re at a tasting), so we thought it was a great idea. Not being particularly interested in the sangria recipe provided, we decided to improvise. Deryck found the dessert wine for this shipment to be incredibly sweet, so I suggested that we use it in place of sugar for the sangria.
1 bottle (750 mL) red wine (we used Kalyra’s 2013 Merlot)
12 fl. oz (350 mL) dessert wine (we used Kalyra’s Angelique 2014 Barbera, you could use juice for less alcohol)
3 shots of rum (we used Bundaberg, brought back from Australia last year)
zest from 2 oranges
slices from those 2 oranges
1/2 lb strawberries, sliced
2 apples, sliced
2 jalapenos, sliced
gingerale to taste
1. Slice all of the fruit (including the jalapenos) & zest the orange.
2. Place fruit & zest in sangria container (we used multiple quart mason jars) with the dessert wine and rum.
3. Let mixture rest in the fridge overnight.
4. Add the red wine. You can serve immediately or wait to let it get spicier.
5. Pour sangria into a glass. Add gingerale to taste–I like mine cut half/half with gingerale, but you can use any ratio or no gingerale at all.
6. Garnish, add a pretty straw, stir up a bit & Enjoy!